Family medicine physicians provide comprehensive, continuous healthcare to all members of the family throughout the course of their lives. They care for patients of all ages, from newborns to the elderly, men and women, and all medical problems.
The family medicine specialty integrates biological, clinical and behavioral sciences. Family physicians become partners with their patients over many years. By building relationships based on communication and respect, these physicians gain a deeper understanding of the whole person, including the range of physical, emotional, and socioeconomic factors that influence a person’s health status.
Patients and their families rely on the extensive skills and experience of Family Physicians to diagnose, treat, and prevent complex, life-threatening diseases and conditions. The healthcare and education provided includes:
- Prevention and management of acute injuries and illnesses
- Health and wellness promotion and education
- Hospital care for acute medical illnesses
- Chronic disease management
- Management of physical, emotional, and socioeconomic factors influencing a person’s health status and care
- Maternity care
- Well-child care and child development
- Primary mental health care
- Sports Medicine
- Supportive and end-of-life care for individuals
Why Should I See a Family Doctor?
Yo quiero un médico que… (Spanish Translation)
Learn more though first-accounts of family physicians. Discover the broad applications and professional satisfaction available through this specialty.